Under general supervision of the Recreation Superintendent, directs all the city’s aquatic facilities operations and programs. Plans, organizes, implements, coordinates, evaluates, and supervises services, programs, activities, and special events of the aquatic facilities within the city’s Recreation Division. Oversees daily operations of multiple aquatic facilities to include staffing, maintenance, operational budget, and recreation programming for a wide variety of age groups within the city. Must be able to work flexible schedules, supervise staff, keep records, maintain equipment and supplies and work with the public.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Develop, implement, and supervise a diversified aquatics program for all ages in accordance with community needs; ensures programs are monitored and evaluated.
• Plan, direct, and supervise both staff and volunteers in the conduct of daily open swim, instructional programs, and special events.
• Prepare and maintain adequate inventory and upkeep of all operational equipment. Make periodic safety inspections.
• Organize, train and certify aquatic personnel for Lifeguard, Water Safety Instructor, and Lifeguard Instructor Certifications. Coordinate and maintain scheduling of aquatic facilities and needed classroom space for instructional courses.
• Supervise aquatic facility staff including Assistant Aquatics Coordinator, Pool Managers, Assistant Pool Managers, Water Safety Instructors, Lifeguard Instructors, Lifeguards, Food and Beverage Attendants, Cashiers, and contracted instructors.
• Manages personnel, equipment, facilities and finances assigned to the department, including hiring, ensuring training for, reviewing performance, scheduling of work, disciplinary action and dismissal of staff members.
• Work in partnership with Marketing and Communications Department to create graphics, advertising materials, and promote aquatic events.
• Direct the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities.
• Identify opportunities for improving service delivery methods and procedures; identifies resource needs’ reviews with appropriate staff’ implements improvements.
• Ensures or delegates that daily, weekly, and monthly attendance records are prepared/maintained for class meetings and day visits for facility use or daily visits.
• Monitor and assist program registration and computer input to include, but not limited to, cancellation refunds, transfers and contract payroll.
• Supervise and administer facility booking in conjunction with administrative staff.
• Purchase and maintain supplies and equipment for aquatic facilities. Supervise schedule of maintenance and repair for aquatic facilities and equipment.
• Ensures that safety inspections are conducted and documented, initiates corrective action as necessary.
• Provides assistance to staff as back up if/when needed.
• Evaluates employees’ job performance and makes recommendations for improvement.
• Prepares staff timesheets and assures accuracy.
• Address customer service issues related to employee performance and facility conditions at multiple aquatic facilities.
• Plan, implement, and supervise and comprehensive swimming lesson program.
• Create, develop, and implement safety training for aquatic personnel.
• Handles/manages emergency situations
• Creates, develops and implements operational manuals related to safety and aquatic facility operations.
• Manage RecTrac Computer Program System.
• Ensure all City financial policies, procedures and controls are followed.
• Develop and support special events and activities.
Bachelor’s degree preferred; minimum Associate degree required with three years of experience in Parks and Recreation or a related field.
Valid Class C driver’s license
Must have the following up-to-date certifications: • American Red Cross Lifeguard • First Aid/CPR/AED for professional rescuers • Water Safety Instructor • Lifeguard Instructor